I’ve been getting a lot of emails asking what is going on with the airport relocation. Here is what’s going on:
- 11/29/2007 – Federal judge in New York issued an order to temporarily block construction. The NRDC has also threatened a separate suit against the Army Corps of Engineers’ issuance of the 404 permit.
- Court date of December 18th was set to determine how “permanent” the stay would be.
- 12/4/2007 – Airport Board approved funding for around $100 million.
- 12/10/2007 – December 18th hearing post-poned to January 8th because one of the three judges recused himself
- Costs associated with the block of construction are estimated to be in excess of $1 million per month.
- 12/17/2007 – Three judge panel mandated that the airport authority could authorize “preliminary construction work” that includes preparing the site for construction, surveying the property, identifying wetlands, erecting fencing, perform maintenance of existing roadways and placing of construction trailers. Work to begin January 2nd.
- Court hearing set for January 23rd.
That is all I have for now. Randy, or anyone else on the airport authority board, feel free to email me with more information if you like.