Speckled Trout Anglers, get your rods ready, on May 30 the Cabela’s Speckled Trout USA Tournament is coming to Panama City Beach. And, if you’re worried about whether or not you should shell out the dough for the entry fee in fear of losing your shirt – fear not!
For the first time ever, a Speckled Trout tournament circuit is coming through Panama City Beach and the entry fee is only $75. With a guaranteed purse of $10,000 with $4,000 going to the guy (or gal) who catches the biggest fish, this tournament pays good and is a great opportunity for those local anglers itching to get their fish on. If the entry pool gets over 150, the prize payout will increase. Plus, you can’t beat the great weather we have in late May, fishing our protected waterways and flats.
Cabela’s Speckled Trout USA tour started in Perry Florida in November, then moved on to Jacksonville in March, will play-out in Orange, Texas May 15th and will finish off here in Panama City Beach end of May. The largest trout caught so far was over 7 pounds.
At 6:30 am on May 30 anglers will venture out from all parts of Panama City Beach to cast lines and reel in the big ones. They’ll have until 3 pm to make their way back to shore, then until 4 pm to show up at the Amphitheater at Pier Park for the weigh-in. Anglers will be given a .2 lbs bonus for each fish kept alive for release later. This could go a long way as live fish weight more than dead fish anyway.
Pre-tournament late registration is Friday, May 29th at Edgewater Beach Resort.
If you win, bring your truth hat (or your thumbtack in your big toe) because you’ll be subject to a polygraph test to verify your honesty regarding when you left and returned from your speckled fishing trip. That’s right, a lie-detector test. I was actually surprised to hear this is not too uncommon in the tournament industry.
- Guaranteed purse of $10,000 in cash and prizes *(see below)
- $500 awarded for largest speckled trout
- $500 awarded for largest redfish (must be within state slot limit)
- Purse may increase depending on number of anglers
- Payback to 15% of the field
- These will be individually fished tournaments but as many as five (5) participants may fish from one boat
- Fish must be kept separate or marked to determine ownership
- Speckled trout limit will be three (3) fish per angler
- State size limits apply
- Fish must be caught during tournament hours
- Bait is limited to artificial bait only
- No chumming allowed
- Pre-tournament late registration will be held the night before the tournament from 5-7 PM at the registration site listed for each tournament
- Captains meeting will be held at the host hotel following late registration the night before the tournament unless otherwise noted
- Boats may launch from different locations on tournament morning(s)
- Fishing hours will be from 6:30 AM until 3 PM and anglers must be in the weigh-in line with their catch by 4 PM
- Polygraph tests will be given at random
- Any angler who fails or refuses to take a polygraph test or whose condition does not permit administration of a test due to incapacity from alcohol or drugs will be disqualified and will not be allowed to participate in any future Outdoor Promotions, Inc. events
- In case of extreme water/weather conditions, Outdoor Promotions, Inc. reserves the right to postpone or cancel any event with the return of entry fees by mail
- Teams must comply with state fishing and boating regulations; fishing and boating licenses are the responsibility of each angler
- The use of mobile communication devices sich as cellular phones, marine radios, etc. to communicate fishing information during tournament hours is prohibited
- The use of alccoholic beverages is prohibited during any Speckled Trout USA event
- The use of or display of any tobacco products in the weigh-in line, on stage, and during awards ceremonies is prohibited
- Wanton unsportsmanlike conduct may be grounds for disqualification if cirumstances require; the decision of the tourmament director will be final
- Door prizes valued at several hundred dollars will be distributed by random drawing
- Any proceeds from the tournament will be earmarked for the Outdoor Kids Scholarship Fund
Example of payout if 100 anglers enter:
|Big Speckled Trout||$500|
|Total Payout in Cash and Prizes||$10,000|